Monday, November 20, 2017

Diy log headers for the S10

Okay... So I searched the internet for a picture of someones log headers for an S10 swap, and came up only a couple pictures. What I was really after was some specifics on tube sizing, and how they stepped it up.

Advanced Adapters sells v8 conversion headers that are stepped up logs similar to what I ended up making. The Advanced Adapters ones seem to be pretty popular, though I would have my concerns about there flow properties since they use crush bent tubing. I want front dump or forward facing headers, as I will most likely be adding a turbo to my setup. Originally I was going to purchase Schoenfield forward dump S10 headers, but after some careful measurements realized that they would put the collectors halfway into the wheel openings, rather than in the fender ahead of the wheel openings. The Schoenfield headers also would make for alot of work to modify for a turbo setup.

I started with with a set of shorty headers I had laying around the shop. They had 1 3/16 primary tubes, and some weird flange that I never found collectors for. I cut the flanges off and began fitting. The log tube I welded on is 2 1/4, and the step up fits on the outside of the primary and the inside of the log. The drivers side is the tight one on a S10 swap, as the rear tube must clear the steering and brake booster.

So here are some pictures of the drivers side finished. The shorties were free, and the two lengths of tube and the reducers were 15 bucks I now have an extra $300 that I would have spent on the Scoenfield, so I am ordering the turbo instead.

I will post a few pictures of them installed... Maybe tomorrow if I get a chance to finish the passenger side. These are for a SBC in a first gen S10, using TransDapt adapters on 2.8 mounts. The transmission is a powerglide sitting on a 1/2 inch rigid plate (no rubber mount) attached to the t5 crossmember in it's stock location. I hope these pics and info help with your project.

This style and setup would work well on f-body Camaro and Firebird too as they have the same sort of space limitations.



No comments:

Post a Comment