Thursday, November 23, 2017

Thanksgiving Eve...

Not alot to report today. Here are a few pictures of the $20 carburetor getting it's choke tower hacked off... I am going to finish the blow through conversion next week, and I'll take some pictures of that. Today I only had a few minutes to play with truck stuff. My shop is busy, the shops that I sub work for are busy, and it's holiday. If I can get a little more time in the coming weeks I should have this thing running shortly.

Here is where the cost of the project stands at the moment.

Truck: needed a T5 transmission and this one had a rebuilt one in it. Paid $500 but sold the trans for $500 (it also had a set of ralley wheels that sold for $400 and the motor got picked up for $200, so really this thing was -$600 bucks) we'll call it $0

Motor: paid $50 on Craigslist because it "made noise" after the previous owners rebuilt it. Turned out to be a timing chain that was bumping the block (kind of a common issue with the earlier casting blocks) PO said it had less than 500 miles on it, after disassembling and inspection, I have no reason to doubt the milage claim. Bonus was the RV Cam and .040 over pistons in fresh bores. Yes it's just a lowly 307, but if it were any other sized small block I most likely would not have got it for $50.

Gasket set for the motor: $35

Transmission: Mike at Classic Auto here in Concord kicked down the old Powerglide that was in his 66 Chevelle and a nice shinny new converter that was supposed to go in something else (for whatever reason it didnt) all for 100 bucks.

Carburetor, intake, mounts, distributor: swap meet package deal for $70

Exhaust: $15 so far

Fuel pressure regulator: $25 eBay... We will see if it works, as I haven't received it yet. The idea is to use the efi pump with a bypass regulator so the we can boost reference fuel... I'm sceptical that a $25 regulator can really step down the 55ish psi that the intank pump puts out and boost reference reliably... But hey it's an eighth the price of a Mallory/Aeromotive/FuelLab regulator so we're gonna roll the dice.

Radiator: $52 also eBay.... Using a replacement 4.3 radiator, I'll post some pictures once it's in.

So total is $347 if my mathbis right.... The original goal was 12s (in the quarter) for 1200 bucks total... I think I am in good shape with the budget... Still need all the front drive stuff and a driveshaft.... And a big ol' eBay turbo but......

No comments:

Post a Comment